Tahawus mine site is located near the abandoned town of
Tahawus, New York, in the High Peaks region
of the state. The mine has a long history in the area, beginning
with the construction of the Mcintyre blast furnace in the
area in the early 1800's. Iron ore was mined nearby and iron
and wrought iron were produced from the furnace and works.
That operation was abandoned when the impurities in the ore
were making it difficult for the existing technology to properly
process it. Those impurities were titanium. During WW2 National
Lead opened the Tahawus mine for processing the titanium
that was found there. The operation closed in 1982, and the
buildings were demolished in 2005-2006.